Sunday, June 24, 2012

Kiyaga Faridah - Testimony

While our team was in Uganda, we had the opportunity to visit Pastor Alex's church, Luzira Community Church, and met many wonderful people.  I have been fortunate to keep in touch with many of them and learn more about them over the past few months.  One young woman, Faridah, has shared her testimony with me and it is an amazing story of God's grace.  Without anything further from me, here is the start of Faridah's story (stay tuned for the second half of this incredible testimony):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, my name is Kiyaga Faridah – people call me Faridah – and this is my testimony.

I want to thank God for what he did for me and how he has protected me all my life.  I am 27 years old and I attend Luzira Community Church.  By sharing my testimony, I want you know how mighty is our God and when He has a reason for your life, He will not leave you to perish!
I look like my mother in this picture

I will start my story 21 years ago, when I was 6 years old.  My mother was married to a Muslim man who had more than 20 wives, so was not legally married to my father.  I never had a chance to live with my father because he had so many wives.  I am the first born to my mother and of all my father’s children,  I don't know exactly how many there are, but we are about fifty-five children, though some have died.

Mother took me to live with my grandmother in the village and she went back into town to make money - because we were so poor, she had to work in order to help the family survive.  But after some time mother came back and joined us in the village.  About this age, I started asking my mother about my father and she promised to take me to see him one day, but before the agreed date mother received news from one of the village members who had a radio that my father passed away about one month ago.  Because we were living deep in the village without a radio television or telephone, we did not get the news in time.  Since my father was a rich man, his death was announced for along period of time.  After hearing the news, we prepared ourselves and went to my father's village.

When we arrived, we found when almost all of the homes empty because in our culture, when someone loses a relative people come and stay with that family for a time to mourn.  At home I saw my brothers and sisters for the very first time.  While there, I also saw good and new things.  For example I saw a television, radio  and the house was well furnished – really different from the one I lived in with my mother.  I liked my father’s place, but I soon had to leave and go back with my mother.  Though in my mother’s place we were so poor, we were a happy family!  Being an extended family, we enjoyed so many people and children of our age coming to our home.  We played together so home was enjoyable.

During that time, at 8 years old,  my uncle, who was a born-again Christian, came at our home and he started teaching us Christian music and teaching us the bible.  He taught us how to pray  and he indeed told us the goodness of Jesus Christ.  But what amazed everyone was the way I was praying.  Imagine at that age I knew how to cover myself in the blood of Jesus, casting out demons and breaking the yoke and the bondage of the enemy.  My uncle was amazed and he said "you will become a great woman of God".  When I see myself today, two passages of scripture that come to my mind are:

Isaiah 43:1-4
But now, this is what the LORD says-- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your stead.  Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give men in exchange for you, and people in exchange for your life.
and
Jeremiah 1:5-7
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”  Then said I: “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.”   But the Lord said to me: “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’  For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak.   Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you,” says the Lord.

Indeed GOD knew me.

When I was 9 years old,  I remember it was a period of one year my mother became sick – alleged caused by  witchcraft.  This was very common in our village.  As a result my uncles from town came for her saying that they cannot sit and watch their sister being killed.  So she left us in the village with our grandmother and life changed because she was the only provider and the leader of our family.  Before she went she gave birth to my brother Lawrence – the one who follows me.  As she was taken by my uncles, she left him with me in the village.  My mother could not take us with her because  at our uncle's place where she was taken he was married and they could not allow her  to bring her kids.

It was one more year when my uncles came for my grandmother because we were poor and mom who was looking after her was taken to town.  Now life changed completely because we were left all alone.  Different people came for us and we were taken and treated like slaves.  We started experiencing a hard life.  At that young age we were subjected to heavy work, fetching water from a long distance( like 2 miles –  you know villages), digging, washing (both dishes and clothes).  Oh God, help us.  Life was really so…so hard.  I tried escaping from home once, but the distance from where we were to a place where I could board a taxi or catch a ride in a vehicle was long.  I could not run and reach there, but failed.

Things got so bad, I tried killing myself.  But when I looked at my brother, I could not leave him, so I persevered.  We used not to eat two  meals.  That is when you eat lunch, but no supper or supper but no lunch (never breakfast).  We always preferred supper because during the day we could search jack-fruit and sugarcane and we eat that as our lunch.  We used to dig from morning to midday looking for food.  If it was school time we would go to school without anything and come back in the evening hungry.  When we got home, we immediately had to go fetch water – 2 miles away.  We would make it back when it was already dark.

As I am telling you now, the pain comes back to me again because life was like hell.  No one cared.  We were helpless – just like slaves.  There was nothing we could do.

(TO BE CONTINUED . . . )

No comments:

Post a Comment