Monday, August 13, 2012

Answering the call

Mukama Awebwe Ekitibwa (To God be the Glory)

In Henry Blackabee's classic study "Experiencing God", one of the points along the process of following God is the "Crisis of Belief" - that is the point where each of us, when faced with God's invitation to join Him in His work, must make a decision.  Do we truly believe that God is able to do what He has called us to do, or not.  Do have the faith in God to do what He is asking, or not.  Can we leave behind what we have to join God in His work, or are we unable to?

Such was the dilemma of a rich young ruler.  This was a story that has been always in my mind since even before going to Uganda back in February of this year (is it still 2012???).  God has changed my heart as a result of my time there and called me now to help those in need.  Part of the challenge for Debbie & I has been that we are not sure quite what that looks like yet, but I know in my spirit, that I cannot rest until I help.  There is so much need, I have so much and most of all, I want to truly experience God's awesome love and power.

I was so excited to reach Kacungwa and meet "my" children!  I can't truly remember many times being happier and more fulfilled in my life.  I had no idea what to expect and traveling to Africa is not something I'd ever imagined doing.

As you read from our time there, our arrival in Kacungwa was something none of us were prepared for, nor will ever forget.  The outpouring of love by the people there was indescribable.

We saw many very difficult things there as well.  One that will forever remain in my memory was the young girl who died of Malaria the day of the medical clinic.  We hear the statistics, see the commercials, but this was right there.  Nor will I forget the image of her father, torn with grief, leaning against the wall.  He had watched his daughter get progressively sicker over weeks with no way to get help.  By the time he could get to the clinic, it was too late.  The grief of a father losing a child is something I pray I will never experience.

One tragedy in this is that it is preventable and treatable.  Like most other needs there, it only takes resources and God's people doing as they're called to make a difference.

It made our "mission" to distribute the mosquito nets our church purchased so vitally important and the purpose so clear.  God used that tragedy in many ways for good, but it instilled in my heart a certain "realness" to what we've just seen on commercials.  I've often tried to imagine the father later being handed the body of his dead daughter and what it must have been like to hold her lifeless body and agonize over the question of "why" and what could I have done to prevent it.  Where was God when this was happening?

The rich young ruler asked Jesus what he must do to follow Him.  Jesus told the young man and he had a choice to make.  He could sell all of his possessions and follow Jesus or he could walk away.  He chose to walk away - and it says that he walked away sad because he had great possessions.  I have thought what it must have been like to stand face to face with the Savior of the world, the One who, through all things were created, and ask a question.  Then when He answered, to say "sorry, I just can't do that".  What else could he do, but turn around with my head down and walk away from Jesus. 

How many times have I already done that in my life - with big things and small? Too many.  And I don't want to keep doing it, because I have seen what God will do with a heart that is willing!!!

The story could have had a totally different ending if the rich young ruler would have run, sold all that he had, given to the poor and run back to Jesus in great joy and followed his Lord in love with the purpose he was called to.

When it became clear that God was calling me to a new work, it was also clear that it would involve giving up many things we hold dear.  Debbie and I have sold our house of 16 years, both resigned our positions at work, given away our dog and 2 cats, sold a car, and are in the heart-wrenching process of saying goodbye to family, friends and our church family.  We are not yet sure how we are going to pay the rent, what kind of work God has in store for us or what lies ahead in the path that Jesus is laying for us.  It is the biggest step in faith that we have ever taken!

I would be less than honest if I said it was easy - quite the contrary, it is very painful.  But I don't want to walk away from my Lord sad.  I want to follow Him, love like He does and experience the joy of being His hands and feet in the world. 

In the name of Jesus, we pray, we believe and we love!

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment