Saturday, March 10, 2012

ARM Report about Canby Team

Below is a weekly report that the ARM Communications office published following Canby Christian Church team's visit to the slums in Kampala.  (NOTE:  In Uganda, dates are written in dd/mm/yyyy format).

Our opportunity to distribute food and visit families in the slum near Kampala was one of the most difficult AND rewarding times we spent while in Uganda.  To see the conditions that people live in daily made us all realize that there is an inherent unfairness in the world.  One of the things that has been difficult for me, personally, since coming home is seeing the bounty that we have and the realization that I have not truly appreciated what God has given me.

A long time ago, I underlined a verse in my bible and it has never seemed as pertinent to my life as now.  Let me share my conviction with you:
Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
Ezekiel 16:49 
After a short visit to Uganda and truly seeing the poor and the needy, I feel like I have the breath knocked out of me as I re-read this verse.  

I continue to be challenged with the thought "What now"?  I have re-read our blog entries and marvel at the work that we did while we were there, yet in the same amount of time since I have returned, what have I done?  I would have to confess that "fullness of food and abundance of idleness" would be a good description of at least a good part of my time.  I have been back at work, but work for what end? 

Still - what now?  There are people daily living in the slums, hungry and getting flooded by the rains.  There are people sick and hungry in the village of Kachungwa.  There are people who do not have the hope of salvation through Jesus Christ.  There is much that God wants me - us - to do to help His children.  

Enough from me, please read the report from ARM and join us in thanking God for what He is doing in Uganda!!! 








Info@africarenewal.org
Head Office: Off Kawuku Rd,200m from Ggaba Trading Centre|P.O. Box 26083, Kampala (U)
Office: +256-414 267 916|My Cell: +256 701 946 480

No comments:

Post a Comment